Selling a home or investment property is a transaction that’s loaded with tax consequences. Money Girl interviews Collier Swecker, a real estate professional who’s also an attorney and tax law specialist, and breaks down what you need to know.
HomeLight agent, awarded for ranking in the top 1% of all agents in his area. He leads one of the most technologically advanced and forward-thinking real estate teams in Alabama.
But on top of all those accolades, Collier graduated from Auburn University with a law degree and Washington University School of Law in St. Louis with a Master of Law in Taxation. He was the principal partner in Swecker and Sparks, a law practice in Auburn, Alabama, for three years. He left the practice in 2006 to pursue a new career in real estate development and sales.
Click on the audio player above to listen to the interview. Here are some of the real estate and tax topics we cover:
- Common costly mistakes first-time home sellers make.
- How to avoid up to $500,000 in capital gains tax on a home sale.
- What to consider when selling an investment or rental property.
- Home records you should keep in order to pay less tax.
- Why paying for title insurance on a home sale is critical.
- Tips for choosing the best real estate pro to sell your property.
- Differences between selling a single-family home vs. a condo or townhouse.
[Listen to the interview using the embedded audio player or on Apple Podcasts, Stitcher, and Spotify]
Use these tips from HomeLight’s Corinne Rivera to avoid expensive tax mistakes when selling a home: